In today’s podcast, I answer a listener question from the RunBuzz Facebook group. Our member is struggling with feeling self conscious when she runs.
Hi Steve,I have 2 running related challenges that are related and are tied for the #1 spot. I am roughly 80-100 pounds overweight. I joined a boot camp fitness group at the beginning of the year. It’s a great group of supportive people who are in all different stages of fitness. Most have struggled or are struggling with weight. There are spin off groups to the boot camps, one being running clubs.I joined a running club mostly because I like the health benefits of running and secondarily because I don’t like running, but I want to love it. Someday.My first running challenge is that I’m too self-conscious when I run alone – not so in the club, only when I’m alone. And I want to run when I am not in the group, too, but I’m just about too embarrassed to do it.My related challenge to that is that I am so slow and the interval training is so hard that a small part of me wants to give in. I guess I’m angry and frustrated with myself that I allowed myself to get so out of shape that even running continuously for 2 minutes and 30 seconds is tough.I am running in the Princess Half-Marathon at Disney in February, but it seems so daunting right now I wonder how I’m going to get from here to there.I’m not giving up. The mental part is so much of my barrier right now that it’s interfering with the physical part.How do I overcome these roadblocks???
In this episode:
- The degrees of fear and how fear rears it’s ugly head through anxiety, self consciousness, and embarrassment.
- Real vs. irrational fear and the “fight or flight” response.
- Why failure is a good thing and how it can be used to your advantage.
- Fear of failure and how to overcome it.
- How to re-frame your mindset and use positive affirmations.
- Self-confidence and self-competence and how you can cultivate them both.
- How to break past your comfort zone.
- How to avoid the negative thoughts that try to push you back into your comfort zone.
- Why using a time based interval training method is not ideal.
- Why I changed my approach to 5k training and coaching beginner runners.
- Why “time boxing” a training plan benefits the coaching program and not necessarily the runner.
- How to train as a beginner in a way that doesn’t “suck”.
- Aerobic zone vs. Anaerobic zone and why running is so tough.
Additional Running Resources
Runner’s Toolkit – Get access to 30 days of free coaching tips by email and get your #1 running question personally answered by me, just for signing up. Plus get free access to our private Facebook community where other RunBuzz community members gather for support, camaraderie and general shenanigans.
Find out how you can support RunBuzz’s mission to bring quality running content (educational, inspirational, etc) to the running community. Did you know it takes approximately 8-10 hours of work to research, record, edit and release each podcast episode? Help support us in our mission to make every runner regardless of age, size and ability a better runner. Your support helps keep future RunBuzz podcast episodes ad-free and new episodes coming.